Monday, January 12, 2009

Awesome!!

As many of you know...Julie is pregnant! I cannot tell you how excited we are!
We found out about it on December 18th....the same day my Cousin Chad had Camron as well as my brother's sister in law had Coleman (it was a baby day.)

So we've been keeping it a "secret" for the last 3 weeks because our first doctor's appt/sonogram was Thursday January 10th. Everything with "peanut" was great as well as with Julie.
It truly was an amazing experience seeing the sonogram and hearing the babies heartbeat. I was in awe seeing our baby for the first time. Listening to the heart beat honestly made my heart melt. I cannot believe there is a baby growing inside my wife's body. Truly a day we will never forget.
All the while looking at the sonogram - wanting to do cart wheels as well as throw up (as a dad, it makes you proud but nervous as well) - the dr was talking about everything and really...honestly I missed half the conversation just staring. Falling in love with the baby before it's even born or even before we know what "peanut" will be.

Since we've known for some time I have had a lot of time to myself......a few weeks ago I got to go hunting where I spent hours in the blind.....mostly by myself.....and just thought.....thought about life....thought about the future....thought about our growing family....thought of all the things in my life I need to "change" before we introduce "peanut" to the world.
You see, it is an amazing feeling knowing you are going to be a dad. for those of you that have been blessed with kids, or are going through the same thing Julie and I are, you know exactly what I'm talking about. But, you also feel a sense of "freaked-out-ness" (yes, it's a word in my world) Knowing that you are responsible for another life....knowing you are responsible for teaching it right from wrong....knowing you are responsible for teaching it the teachings of Christ.

So I decided that it was time I made my a New Year's Resolution....One that actually meant something to me....one that would help me be a better husband, future father, and follower of Christ.

So last week I was reading scripture - I didn't know exactly what I wanted to study so I decided just to pick a book and ended up reading Titus.

The theme for this book (without getting into the background) is "Doing what is Good."

So that, as simple as it sounds, is my resolution this year. To do what is good. To be a better husband, to be patient and kind and even-tempered so that I might be a good father as well as a better follower of Christ.

One of my favorite group of verses in Titus is in the 2nd chapter, verses 11-14

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldy passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and goldy lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.


Please keep Julie, I, and "Peanut" in your prayers. God bless each of you in your week.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

We are so excited for ya'll!!!! Please know that everyone is in our prayers:)

Love,
Aunt Kim and Uncle Jeff:) hehe!

Suzanne said...

awesome awesome awesome! SOOOO excited for you guys! we love you so much! and yes, i know exactly what you mean about future fathers freaking out! holy COW, joe could write a book! ;) you are going to be such a great dad! hugs to you, julie and baby peanut--definitely in our prayers!

Jill said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have a huge smile on my face for you guys right now!!! You will be such an amazing daddy. Julie, you, and the baby will be in my prayers.