Sunday, December 2, 2007

got em

So, this weekend we went to the ranch. Finally got to go deer hunting this year!
And....yuppers - I shot my first buck. It's a 10 point capped from about 100 yards.
Funny story, then I'll show the pics.
-I was supposed to go up early Friday so I could sight my gun in. Since we moved and what not I wanted to make sure it was on. Well - no such luck. Champ got sick and I had to take him to the vet. Saturday I basically slept all afternoon after being in the stand all morning so I still didn't get it sighted in.
Here it is - Saturday - almost dusk. There's a 10 point at the feeder.
I put my gun up - BOOM! Shot - apparently missed. But, the buck did not go anywhere. Kept eating corn. So, I unloaded another shot....Thought I missed again. The buck didn't act hit - just kinda stunned then ran off acting fine. I was hacked - thought I missed this guy twice because of scope being off. So, what do I do? I target practice with a baby coon that's right by the feeder. BOOM - dropped him instantly - my scope was dead on.
Now I'm just mad at myself because I thought I whiffed the shot due to Buck Fever (it's intense - hands are shaky, heart throbbing)
So, Mike and I walk back up to the cabin to eat some dinner. Mike took one of the 4 wheelers down to the feeder just to make sure I didn't hit it. Comes back to the cabin and says....Well, we know your scope is on because you killed a baby coon that weighs about as much as champ.
And, (paused) congratulations, you just killed your first buck.
I WAS ECSTATIC - did a little dance.
Anywho, here are the pics.

Ain't he a beaut??
I guess I showed him who's boss


2 comments:

Julie said...

Correction...he said the baby coon was the size of daisy (4lbs) :)

Prissy Petals said...

That's awesome! I'm going to make sure that Jeff gets to see your pics. And I love Julie's comment:) hehe!! Congrats on your first deer:)